17 Mar Mobile March Madness: 5 Viral Marketing Strategies For Mobile Carriers
March Madness is upon us, and that means that across the nation rabid basketball fans are spending hours of their spare time checking stats, building fantasy teams, and shouting out their wins on social media. And almost all of these people will be taking these actions on their cell phones. We live in a digital world, and significant events like March Madness bring us closer together online. If you’re a mobile carrier, March Madness is a terrific opportunity to capitalize on all this extra digital love. If you’re ready to make the most of March Madness and make it work for your business, here are five viral marketing strategies you can embrace this season.
- Host a Web Series: Consider hosting a weekly web series on YouTube or a similar site, in which you analyze the teams still in the March Madness bracket. You could interview players, evaluate individual teams, make predictions, and talk about the season so far. Bonus if you questionnaires that fans can fill out each week with their predictions of the week to come. Make sure each episode is appropriately branded and make the content fun and interesting enough that people want to share it on their social media pages. Make it easy to share with social media buttons on the video page.
- Host a March Madness Contest on Social Media: Ask customers to share pictures of themselves at March Madness games on social media. When they do, they’ll need to hashtag your business and a tagline for the challenge. At the end of the predetermined challenge dates, someone will win. What they’ll win is up to you, but at the end of the day, your mobile carrier will get some significant visibility on social media, and your customers will feel engaged with your brand.
- Be a Part of the Team: In Portland, OR, when the Blazers hit 100 points in a game, all the fans get a free Chalupa from Taco Bell. Not only does this get the fans excited and increase brand awareness for Taco Bell, but it makes the fans feel like they have a stake in the game like they’re a part of the team that they are cheering. You can do the same with your mobile carrier by tying an incentive to March Madness games. Consider providing a code for discounted pizza every time a March Madness game hits a collective 200 points, or something similar. You’ll want to create a hashtag for fans to use when tagging pictures to social media of them with their post-game pizza.
- Host a Tailgate Event: Before one of the games in your area, host a local event. Invite fans to attend through digital marketing, mobile or email marketing, and social media. At the event, you can either choose to hand out freebies associated with your brand (branded pens, baseball caps, etc.) or just engage with your customers and give them a positive experience with your mobile carrier. It’s a good idea to give out a discount code to incentivize new customers at the event.
- Make A Snapchat Filter: Snapchat is one of the fastest growing social media platforms, and it’s one of the most popular. Snapchat allows users and sponsors to design filters and release them on a specified date. Make a filter that lets fans see themselves as a basketball star. Make it interactive with a built in slam dunk or a fancy dribble. In other words, make people want to show it off. Display your logo on the bottom of the filter, and have a corresponding hashtag so fans can send their Twitter followers to their Snapchats to see the results.
At Modern Promos, we understand the need to get in front of your audience and engage with them on a personal level. That’s why we provide brand ambassadors to all of your viral events. Brand ambassadors can interact with your customers and help build strong brand impressions, so your customers keep coming back for more long after the event is over. To staff Modern Promos’ Brand Ambassadors at your next March Madness event, contact us today.